Sunday, September 30, 2007

Japanfest!

My friend Maggie had two extra tickets to Japanfest, and offered them to us! (She's nice AND smart-- she had the tickets off the Japanese Consulate, which gave them to her because she has a Fulbright to go to Japan in October!)

Here's Chris in front of one of the banners:


chris outside


We headed inside to get something to eat. Here's a picture of one of the food lines:


foodlines


I stood in THREE of them, only to be told at each one that there were no vegetarian options! I finally bought a chocolate croissant in desperation (yes, it DID seem WRONG somehow that I couldn't get anything vegetarian at an Asian event-- usually they come through for us).

Here are some lucky non-vegetarians enjoying their lunches:


foodcourt


After that we went to a Japanese archery demonstration:

archery

It was very cool. If I had any discipline at all, I'd really enjoy learning that.

Then it was off to see some Okinawan dancing. I don't have any photos of that, OR of the kendo demonstration that followed because it was just too dark. But, I do have this:


cuties in kimonos

Aren't they cute as buttons? :) I'm just loving those sneakers!


We were going to stay for a drumming exhibit, but I was fading fast due to lack of food (and increasing discomfort with large crowds-- ssshhhhh! Don't tell anyone, but I really, REALLY don't like being in indoor spaces with tons of people). Sweetie Chris took me to lunch at a place close to home where I could get miso and udon, since he knew I'd been looking forward to it. Awwwww :)

When we got home I worked some more on assembling my rodent army, and then packed up my work baskets until I have a chance to do some more. I think that bats are next. I want to hang cutouts inside of our lampshades :) It's all in the details, people, all in the details.

Thanks for stopping by!
Kimberley

2 comments:

tea time and roses said...

Sounds like so much fun, except the no food part. Food and fun seems to go together! But sounds like a good time anyway. :o) Have fun crafting for Halloween!

Smiles...

Beverly

Anonymous said...

What fun!