Saturday, September 29, 2007

So you want to build a rodent army...

Rodent army!



Good thing I'm here to help, then! :)

Our theme for this year's Halloween party is "Nightmares & Fairy Tales", and I've decided to go for the decaying mansion look (it'll be no easy task in our tiny, 1949 Cape Cod, but hey! I'm counting on the magic of Halloween... and gloomy candlelight-- that'll help!) The colour scheme will be black and white-- not even orange pumpkins, maybe, as I'm thinking of painting them white and attaching black ribbons. That idea is still brewing so stay tuned.

On to the rodents! This year's Martha Stewart Halloween issue was a great help in pulling this theme together, due in no small part to the mouse templates. First I downloaded them and then cut them out (pssst! Check out the glass dome I got for practically no money yesterday) :


Tracing begins!


Then I traced them onto black construction paper, stacked three sheets deep:


outlines


And, once I finished cutting, voila! Instant Rodent Army!

Rodent army!


I still have more mice to trace and cut out, and then I'll cut out some mouse holes. I also plan to have spiders of various sizes crawling up walls all over the house and plenty of artfully draped spider webbing. More on that later, as well as info about dyeing cheesecloth to make creepy, moth-eaten-looking curtains. Oh, yes, we are all about Halloween here at Tallulah House :) I will really miss having my Halloween rubber duckies out this year, but they hardly belong in a decaying mansion!

One other project I finished today was stringing a banner for the dining room:

halloweenbanner2


Have a look at my little workspace at the dining room table:

workspace2


(Please note that that candy is not for me! I plan to put it into jars and attach creepy labels. I just like having it out for inspiration)


Here's a better picture of my spooky companions:


workspace3


Can you tell that I've been having fun? :)


Hope you had a great Saturday!
Kimberley

3 comments:

Leanne said...

First visit here- Hi Kimberley!

I love your Halloween mices! I think it will all look fab when you are finished. Halloween (Samhain for me) is my favourite time of year, but we dont get all the gorgeous things in our shops here that you all get in the States.I still decortae my house though, i love observing the seasons this way.

Leanne x

Kimberley said...

Hi, Leanne!

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)
Halloween is my favourite time of year, as well-- my husband and I were determined to get married in October so we'd have one more wonderful thing to celebrate ;)

A friend of mine (American, married an Englishman) lives in Selsey, and was telling me that Halloween is scarce on the ground over there, and that there even seems to be some hostility directed towards it. ?? Do you think that's so all over England?

Anyhoo, I was just over at your blog and thoroughly enjoyed your Michaelmas post. That's one of my favourite feasts! Oh, and thanks for turning me on to Damh the Bard.

Kimberley

Leanne said...

Hi again Kimberley, thanks for nice comments about my blog!

Damh is fabulous! I love his music, there's two tracks on the playlist of my blog if anyone wants a listen! he is a druid Bard, and one of my favourite performers. he also has his own blog...www.paganmusic.blogspot.com

yes, theres mixed feelings about halloween here in UK, not many like it, although the commercial side is growing in the shops. But we dont have many lovely decorations here like in the States, a lot of the things available are cheap, plasticky and not very nice at all!

I still decorate my cottage and fill the windows with all my things, even though I live in a fairly remote place and theres hardly anyone (no-one really) to knock!! I am quite looking forward moving nearer to a town soon! (probably early next year)

Leanne x
.