Sunday, July 22, 2007

Bathroom ceiling project finished!

Huzzah, hooray, three cheers, etc :)

The end result is clean and lovely, which is exactly what I wanted. It makes the past few days of standing on the ladder whilst muddy plaster rained down on me, of holding the Mr. Toad-like sander-- think his Wild Ride-- above my head for hours, being covered to the eyelashes in plaster dust, and the seemingly endless round of patching, sanding and painting (I ended up doing two coats of primer and two coats of paint) completely worth it.

Also worth it are the various injuries I sustained, confirming my theory that Tallulah House occasionally demands blood sacrifices... or that I'm a klutz :) All that remains is to re-hang the shelves and towel hooks, which I'll do today. I plan to go back and do some re-caulking, as well, but prefer to think of that as a separate project, so that I can say I'm done with this one!

In other news, I've finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! Never fear, I won't give anything away: I'll just say that it was really good and is a satisfying ending to the series. Chris and I went to a Grand Hallows Ball event at our local Borders bookstore on Friday night, and it was fun. Chris kept asking all week if I was going to dress up, and I kept saying, "no", but then changed my mind at the last minute ;) We ran into one of my colleagues there and she took some photos, which I'll post for your amusement when she e-mails them.

My plans for the book (namely, staying up all night reading it) were all thrown off-kilter by the fact that I didn't get the bathroom finished Friday afternoon. Things just kept getting delayed: the spackle didn't dry as quickly as I thought it would, the two coats of primer took longer to dry, I had to do some sanding, and then! just when I started to get the first coat of paint on, I opened the can to discover that it had separated. I called the hardware store up the street to ask if they had a paint shaker and they did, so I called Chris and asked him to stop by the house after work and take it up there to have it shaken. I would have done it myself, but the prospect of stopping to get cleaned up was too much for me :) Anyhoo, I finished the first top coat around 7:30 and stopped to get cleaned up to go out. Chris fully expected me to be unable to resist temptation and dive right into the book, but I knew that there was no way I could enjoy it if all of that mess was still waiting for me. So, I went to bed around 2am, got up the next morning and got the last coat of paint on, and then proceeded to scrub the tile, bathtub, and floor, and clean up all of the mess. I took a bath, went and got us a pizza from Fellini's, came home, started reading and didn't re-surface until I was done (well, I did stop to iron the bathroom curtains and get those re-hung). Good times!

So today I'm bound for the grocery store and Target to pick up everything we've run out of over the last week. When I'm involved in a project, civilisation can just go hang, obviously ;)

No comments: