Wednesday, August 1, 2007

That's MRS. Slacker to you, buddy!

9:16pm. All is pitch dark in the python-stalked environs surrounding Tallulah House (well, as dark as it can get with streetlights and porchlights-- we are a safety-conscious community after all!). However, within Tallulah House all is well as the scents of vanilla candles and Chris's chocolate ice cream, duly drowned in chocolate sauce weave seamlessly, and the punkish joy of Joey Ramone's "What a Wonderful World echoes through the Geek Room. The Ramones for our sweet, little old lady, Tallulah? Sure, why the heck not! lol

Seriously, this is my favourite version of this song. If you haven't heard it, try and give it a listen. I'm taking a little break from the Pink Martini album "Hang on Little Tomato", more for Chris's sake than mine. He is just as baffled by the way I can listen to the same music over and over, as I am by the way he can watch "Band of Brothers" over and over. Ahh, the things you discover about people AFTER you marry them, muwahahaha! *smooch, sweetie, love ya*


So. I know the question that is burning in your mind-- no, don't try to deny it! You want to know whether or not I managed to get the rugs steamed and/or the fence painted. Well, the answer, dear reader, is "no" to both! Oh, the shame! I burn from it *sob*

The only thing offsetting my shame is the amount of other projects that I did manage to do, including dismantling the settlements of several Clutter Monsters. Surely you've met the Clutter Monsters? They move in while you aren't looking and build vast cities of stuff that you vaguely recall buying or getting in the mail. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Well, I've had several of these, just driving me nuts! Today I said, pointing my finger dramatically, is the day! I pounced, sorted, cleaned, threw away, and loaded a bag for the Salvation Army. Once the dust settled and I looked around I saw lots of empty space (oh, and lots of dust, too). I was very glad to get that project off the list. Now the good luck and chi may flow freely without tripping over the architectural folly of the Clutter Monsters :)

I also made potato salad today. I'm from the South, and potato salad is a BIG DEAL here. There can be a lot of controversy about it (my mother has yet to forgive me for not including eggs and green bell pepper), so I'm really putting myself on the line by sharing my recipe. But hey! That's me, dashing adventurer with a hint of Albert Schweitzer thrown in *shrugs modestly*

So, Kimberley's potato salad recipe:

Ingredients
  • Several potatoes suitable for baking (choose the amount by how much you'd like to make)
  • Mayonnaise
  • Sour cream
  • Herbes de Provence, dried
  • Pepper, freshly ground
  • Hungarian paprika
  • salt

Directions

  • Fill a large cooking pot with water and set to boiling
  • Wash and chop the potatoes into medium sized cubes (I always leave the skins on, for the vitamins and texture-- much more rustic and hearty, I think).
  • Peel and chop one large onion. Set aside.
  • Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until done, but not mushy
  • While the potatoes are cooking, choose a bowl for the potato salad. Go ahead and put in a big spoonful of both mayonnaise and sour cream. Add the herbes de Provence, pepper, paprika, salt and onions.
  • Drain the potatoes through a collander (Make sure that there's a pot underneath catching all that tasty potato water-- there's your base for a lovely potato soup). Rise with cool water to stop them cooking.
  • Add potatoes to the mixture in the bowl, and stir well, making sure to coat the potatoes with everything.
  • Enjoy!

In between all of that, I played with the canine denizens of Tallulah House, gave some vague thought to the work to which I'll be returning all too soon, AND most importantly, finished up one of my "Pay It Forward" gifts, huzzah! Now, now, I won't be telling whose it is, but I *do* plan to get it in the mail tomorrow!

So, yeah, basically it was another day of slacking-- whaddya gonna do about it ;)

Hope you've got something fun planned for tomorrow,
Kimberley

2 comments:

Chef Jules said...

"Clutter Monsters" -- I like that! I usually refer to it as "Psyche Clutter" and around here, I just don't tolerate it! It sneaks up, every once in a while though, so I was on the "same page" as you lately, Kimberly. I rooted around and filled boxes and bags with Psyche Monster Clutter". It's so cathartic!

You've been cooking up some great things at Tallulah House. I'm looking forward to seeing your raised beds, etc.! Charming, charming abode!

Have a great day,

Jules :)

Kimberley said...

Hey, Jules!

Thanks for stopping by. I take your comment about the cooking as a great compliment, seeing as how you are chef extraordinaire!

Yes, "cathartic" is an EXCELLENT word to describe how good it felt to take care of that clutter. Every time I looked at it I felt guilty-- not exactly the feeling I want to foster here at Tallulah House, ya know??

Thanks so much for stopping by,
Kimberley