Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Recent finds

Hello, everybody!

I wanted to share some recent junking finds that have me all a-flutter ;)

When I was visiting my parents a few weeks ago, my mom and I visited one of our favourite thrift shops and I found lots of good things, this lotus bowl being one.

butterflies 017

You must understand that I have longed for a lotus bowl like this for quite some time (I'm not quite sure why-- I can't explain, so don't ask me to!), but was always put off by the expense. Imagine how thrilled I was to come across this one, with absolutely no chips or cracks, for $1.00!
The gorgeous roses are from Trader Joes: one dozen for $3.99! You honestly can't beat TJ's on flowers.

My next junking excursion was with my friend Frances, to a large antiques market here in Atlanta. I had such mixed emotions when I found these next items: excited because they were perfect for the bedroom re-do I have planned, and saddened because they were cut out of old books.

butterflies 004

As someone who loves books, I am truly distressed by their destruction; however, the deed was done and there they were... I know, I know: this is the same argument one could make for ivory and sweatshop clothing. I am by no means perfect, and am just as hypocritical as the next person (my inner Lisa Simpson is crying right now). In any event, I bought them, am thrilled with them, and will take very good care of them. Here are some closeups:

butterflies 005


butterflies 006


butterflies 007


butterflies 008


butterflies 009


butterflies 011


I plan to mat these and then frame them in mahogany, to match the bed and dressing table, and hang them above the headboard. I think this grouping will be quite dramatic.

I've actually been working over the past year to assemble all of the ingredients for our Butterfly Boudoir (lol, what an awful name-- its so awful I've just got to go with it!), though I didn't realize at the beginning that that's what I was doing. I've always liked butterflies and really got into them about a year ago. A few months ago I found this lot of 12 Limoges dessert plates on E-bay-- ohhhhhh, E-bay, my beloved enemy, how I looooaaaatheeloooooveeeee you!!-- AND HAD TO HAVE THEM!

butterflies 012


butterflies 013


butterflies 014

Aren't they beautiful? They make me purr :) I want to hang them in an arching pattern-- you know to make them look like they're flying. Ok, that sounds dumb, but it looks so pretty in my head.

On a trip to the warehouse district a couple of months ago, I found some beautiful butterfly fabric in the remnant room: gorgeous butterflies in shades of teal and yellow on a cream background. I'd show you a picture but I forgot to photograph it before I left it with my mom. We're going to make covers for the pillows I already have.

I'm hoping that Pottery Barn's reversible velvet silk cotton quilt (in cream) will go majorly on sale at the end of the season, as it is faaaarrr too expensive for me at the moment. Its the softest thing and would look just beautiful as a background for the pillows.

I have one more junking find to share. I found this on Saturday when Elizabeth and I were prowling the shops: a McCoy vase that will be perfect for the fall:

butterflies 001


butterflies 002


I hope that you've had good luck in your junking!
Kimberley

6 comments:

Catherine said...

I know that all ~ a ~flutter feeling you get when junking all too well, also understand the sentiment~ & feeling~ just had to have it, but don't know why!! :)
Your lotus bowl and other finds are just beautiful!! Enjoyed browsing your blog!! Keep On JUNKING!!

tea time and roses said...

Hey Kimberley...

I am on a little break, but I just had to stop for a moment and say hello... How I love all your pretties, the butterflies are just beautiful! I love butterflies too. Enjoy all your lovely finds...

Hugs...

Beverly

Chef Jules said...

Hi Kimberley :) I love your enthusiasm for these items you excavate on "digs". The plates are so beautiful. I hope you share the Butterfly Boudoir after it's undergone complete metamorphosis!

BTW -- I find it sad when books are defaced, too. I have in excess of 6,500 -- floor-to-ceiling, complete w/ library ladder. I have to edit the collection soon, so I'll have some pangs of grief. Slight hyperbole, but I know *you* can relate. :)

Have a great day!

Kimberley said...

Thanks, everybody! I just love sharing my junking find with you :)

Jules!! Over 6500 books! *swoon* I am sooo jealous, but glad that they're in your care.

Thanks for stopping by,
Kimberley

Rechelle said...

Pretty cool finds - especially love the butterfly prints.

Sadie Olive said...

I love your butterfly finds! Both gorgeous!