Saturday, August 11, 2007

Kitchen corners

Hi there, friends and neighbors!

One of my favourite parts of blogs are the pictures. I get so inspired by seeing what cool stuff other folks are doing in their homes (and being jealous over their vintage finds and family heirlooms!). Now I'm not saying that any of my pics will inspire you, but its great to join in the fun of sharing :)

Tallulah's kitchen has been one of the hardest rooms to decorate because:
  • it's a galley kitchen, not my favourite style though it has grown on me
  • hunter green countertops-- I didn't want hunter green *sniff*
  • it ran the risk of feeling more like a hallway than a kitchen

In my war with the hunter green countertops, I painted the walls three times before I decided that the countertops were going to keep winning every time :) I surrendered and painted the walls white, which I really like, though you should have SEEN the number of paint chips at which I looked. I didn't want a cold, blue-white, and ended up with a warm, creamy white that I really like. I ultimately embraced the white and green, but added purple as an accent colour-- nothing crazy, just little touches of here and there. But enough chatter!

Here are a few corners of my kitchen:

The window, with a bit of the sink thrown in (who can identify the things on the sill?)

kitchen window


To the right of the window:

Aug11_08


A closeup of the Treat Jar, revered by the canine denizens of Tallulah House. Its importance entitles it to a pedestal of Jadeite ;)

Aug11_09


A painting I bought several years ago, entitled "Louisiana Irises"

louisianairises


Both my husband and are of Irish extraction, and we got a kick out of this plaque, a wedding present from one of my aunts:

irishcurse


The plaque and my aprons (at which some people snicker disbelievingly: "You wear APRONS??" "Yep," I reply, "after I ruined a couple of shirts with olive oil I got smart. Hmmm, I guess you don't do much cooking, eh?")

apronsandshelf


A view of a counter that holds my silver (such a horrible way to display it!), a stack of my favourite platters and sugar bowl, and an aloe plant:

Aug11_12


A closeup of the sugar bowl and one of my favourite spoons:

flowersugarbowl


The view out of the kitchen door:

view from the kitchen door


I know that it's wrong to love an inanimate object... I know it's wrong, but I do anyway!! This is Happy, my Francis!Francis! espresso maker. Happy was a birthday present from Chris, for which I am still thanking him two years later :)

Aug11_10

Hope you enjoyed having a look around the kitchen at Tallulah House!
Kimberley

12 comments:

Janelle said...

It looks to me like you really made lemonade out of your lemon-y green countertops! The Jadeite and the railroad insulators (see, I know what they are!) really look great with the counters.

It's nice to see some pictures. :-)

Kimberley said...

Woot, Janelle, you recognized the insulators! I figured with all of the vintage-y people out in Blogland that SOMEONE would know ;)

I just love 'em and yeah, they were a good way to tie in the countertops.

Thanks for stopping by!
Kimberley

stadtgarten said...

Oh, your kitchen is lovely! And you have a kitchen door to the garden?!!! I would absolutely love to have one.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I knew they were insulators too! Anyway, your kitchen looks great! Love your cabinets. and love the silverware in that dish. Your kitty is so cute!

Manuela

Perfectly Lovely said...

Thanks for letting us have a look at your kitchen, blogging is a great exscuse to be nosey!

well done for making the most of the counter tops...

Jennifer.

Kimberley said...

Thanks so much for all of your lovely comments, you are all too kind :)

I found that as I filled the kitchen with more and more of my favourite things (and accepted the things about it that I couldn't change) it actually become a room that I really like. And, as much time as I spend there, that is truly a blessing :)

Thank you all for visiting Tallulah House!
Kimberley

tea time and roses said...

Kimberley your kitchen is a beautiful one, and your cabinets are just lovely... Your sugar bowl is so sweet with its pretty little roses. I always enjoy visiting Tallulah House...

Hugs...

Beverly

Durf said...

I love your kitchen. We have similar taste. Hopefully I can finish cleaning up and post some before and after pictures of my rooms. I painted my kitchen in a shade I thought was like Jadeite.
Take care.

Liz Harrell said...

I think your kitchen looks very crisp and pretty! I've been wanting to paint my kitchen white but I keep catching flack from my friends. But I love white, cant help it. Railroad insulators? Very cool.

Kimberley said...

Hey, everybody!

Beverly, yes, thank you, I *really* like that sugar bowl-- even moreso because it was my grandmother's.

Durf, I cannot WAIT to see some photos of your house. I would love to see the Jadeite walls :) I painted my sitting a lovely, similar green called Rejuvenate that is really pretty.

Liz, yes, well, I am not known for being a fan of white (drives my mom nuts because she LOVES white: white walls, white bedding, etc), but it really was the colour that worked best and I have really grown to like it. I think that "crisp" is an excellent word to describe it so thank you. Yeah, those sort of insulators could also be found on power lines. They are some of my favourite things. Hmmm, favourite things... I think I need to do a post about that ;)

Thank you all so much for stopping by! You've made my day!
Kimberley

Chef Jules said...

Kimberley that's a very bright and beautiful area you've created. It's infused with your personality! Warm, and inviting. I imagine every corner of your house is like that. :)

I recently did my kitchen (posted it on the blog) which my female friends say is bereft of "punches of colour" (I argue that I add these with the *food* I create!), and my male friends say it's quite serene!

I will post the dining area off of the kitchen later. You can probably think of some ways I could add a bit of life to it!

Sadie Olive said...

You did a great job with your countertops. I think they fit right in, and are very pretty!