Monday, August 27, 2007

Introducing... RealSofa!

First, there was Mr. Atoz, my beloved Saturn sedan, named for a crazed librarian on an old-skool Star Trek episode! (He was totalled in a car accident when a spacey, lead-footed kid in an SUV slammed into me-- stupid spacey, lead-footed kid).

Then there was Tallulah House!

Tallulah was soon followed by RidiculousBed!

Next to arrive was Happy!

Then came Gwendolyn, my beautiful white sofa who presides over my sitting room (but that's a whole other post) with such grace and style.

This weekend saw the arrival of RealSofa!

realsofa

Isn't she beautiful? *beam*

Her beauty is matched only by the fact that we practically STOLE her from her previous owners, muwahahahaha! It all began last week when one of my co-workers sent out an e-mail with an attachment of furniture she was selling due to an impending move. As soon as I saw the picture of this sofa and the price, which I honestly thought was a typo, I sent an e-mail to my co-worker saying that I was interested and called Chris. As soon as he saw the picture, he said go for it.

You see, we've been wanting a real sofa for a few years now. Not that Chris's beloved futon wasn't as comfortable as all get out (because it was), but it was just so... so.... graduate school. Ya know? It was time for us to move on, to actually put the living room-- the first room into which you step from outside-- together in a coherent way. I dare you to picture it: silk curtains... gorgeous silver compotes on a [reclaimed] teak table... snappy retro-style leather chair... carved wooden screen from India... haunting black and white photos of someone's beautiful wife in her thinner days (*preen*)... FUTON.

Yes. Exactly.

And so it became our mission to find and buy a sofa. The finding was so much easier than the buying. You know what I'm talking about: you need something so you save up for it, and save, and save... and save, and FINALLY when you have all the money you need, well, the air conditioner in your car blows up; or two of your four Animal Denizens have to go to the vet in the same month for conditions that, for all appearances, are life-threatening but turn out not to be so much so after you get the results from the series of Very Expensive Tests that you were too afraid to say "no" to; or -- nope, never mind. It's too depressing to go on, and I'm sure you get the picture.

In any event, the Junking Angels were truly looking out for us in regard to this sofa: its EXACTLY the colour we wanted, its from Restoration Hardware, is barely a year old, and we paid FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR IT! Can you believe it?? Seriously, I thought my co-worker was going to say that she meant to type $1500 :)

Our friends Stacy and Andrew helped us move it-- thank goodness for sensible people who buy trucks (Chris and Kimberley= dumb bunnies)-- and when we got it home and in place, Chris and I kept saying, "It's a real sofa! We have a REAL SOFA!", much in the same way Kevin Costner in his badly-accented role as Robin Hood kept saying, "I have a brother. I have a BROTHER!", except I'm quite sure that we didn't sound that stupid. Really. Apparently we repeated this phrase too many times, because Andrew said, "What? Is that its name?" And then we realized that it was :)

If you think the fact that we name and then become emotionally attached to inanimate objects is weird, well, remind me to never tell you about Little Vampire Kimberley!

As for the futon (which never had a name, oddly enough), it went home with Andrew and Stacy :) Andrew needed it for his Man Room, and we know it'll have a good home with them. Plus, Andrew's said that Chris can visit it any time.

Nope, we're not strange. Not a bit.

:)
Kimberley

P.S. I'll post pictures of our actual RealSofa and the living room eventually-- we're back to saving up for a couple of other pieces of furniture and it's not quite photo-worthy.

5 comments:

Chef Jules said...

Good morning, Kim! Real Sofa is a real beauty and a real steal of a deal!

It's so refreshing to find a kindred spirit who names inanimate objects. I think we are a minority. LOL I've been anthropomorphising even prior to having a child in the household. Just between you and I, of course! :)

There's a coment for you from someone wanting you to run a virtual bookclub. The comment in on my blog under the Double Chocolate Muffin post!

Have a great day,

Jules

Anonymous said...

The sofa is a beauty.

Anonymous said...

Hee!Hee! You have made me giggle!!... I thought I went abit nutty for new furniture, but, you are by far the nuttiest one!!:)

Cant wait to see more pics of the finished room.

Jennifer x

Kimberley said...

Hey, everybody :)

Jules, I'm totally in the "velveteen rabbit" school of thought on inanimate objects-- so glad that you're right there with me! And thanks for letting me know about the comment-- I haven't had the chance to respond, so that should tell you how much time I'd have for a virtual bookclub, as fun as that would be!

Alison, yes, it was an amazing bargain and I'm so pleased.

cd&m, thanks so much for stopping by :) Yes, she is beautiful, isn't she?

Huzzah, Jennifer, I LOVE being the nuttiest one ;) I will definitely post pictures when we get everything finished up. Hopefully that will happen in time for the annual Halloween bash!

Kimberley

Anonymous said...

I don' think you are strange..I get very excited about furniture..it is hard to find exactly what I want..especially for what I can afford. It is, excuse me, SHE is a beautiful piece of work. ;)
And how refreshing to see Chef Jules somewhere other than his kitchen! LOL!