Saturday, August 18, 2007

Tea with Elizabeth

insidetearoom

Today my friend Elizabeth and I had afternoon tea at The Faded Rose Tea Garden and it was delightful :)

This is Elizabeth, looking lovely and oh, so Anne of Avonlea:

Elizabeth

We were waited on by two of the nicest gentlemen, who were determined that our experience be as close to perfect as possible! We had a wonderful time, and made absolute pigs of ourselves with the tea as our new friends told us that we could try as many varieties as we wanted!

We had pots of:
  • Irish Blend
  • English Breakfast
  • Dry Desert Lime
  • African Autumn
  • Shangri-La
  • White Darjeeling

Survey the line of sacrificial teapots!

teapots

We were completely wired and ready to float away (as Elizabeth said) by the time we were done! Tea wasn't the only thing about which we were piggish: get a load of this decimated tower of goodies!

teastand

Everything was delicious, but I almost swooned over the cheese puffs-- I know that sounds bizarre, but you'd have had the same reaction! They were like fluffy, fancy, grilled cheese sandwiches and I MUST have them again. Hmmm, I wonder if Chef Jules has a recipe for cheese puffs-- do you, Julesy?? :)

In addition to the goodies, tea, and atmosphere, I adored the rock sugar blend, and was immediately inspired by the colours to begin planning an autumn tea party. Naturally I had to buy some to bring home for said party :)

rocksugarcloseup

Though the tea room is in a somewhat industrial area, they have a charming little garden, complete with a white picket fence, and the chef uses the herbs in the savouries. The garden provided a nice view from our table:

garden

After we finished-- a mere THREE HOURS after we arrived!--, we stopped at a couple of antique shops in the area and it was a nice top-off to the day. Having tea out is one of my favourite indulgences, and I am so glad that Lizzy Lou (Elizabeth may kill me for calling her that in print, lol) and I were able to take time out for it before our work week begins.

So, did you do anything fun today?
Kimberley

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely shop and food.
Sounds like you had a great day.

Kimberley said...

Hi, Fiona!

Yes, it was and yes, we did :) We're already planning our next excursion.

Thanks for stopping by,
Kimberley

Chef Jules said...

Looks so good (post decimation, that is!), Kimberley! The rock sugar blend rocks! I like the tactile appearance of it.

I have a chef friend who makes the absolute best Cheese Puffs. I will get her recipe to pass along to you when she returns from her vacation (summer on a houseboat -- a rough life!). They are delish!

I'm glad you had a great afternoon with your friend.

Julesy :)

Kimberley said...

Hey, Michele!

Yes, you should definitely make plans to spend an afternoon there. It was lovely.

Jules, yes, tactile, exactly! It reminds me of those tumbled glass beads you see in craft stores and I have nobly resisted running my fingers through them (we maintain the strictest hygiene at Tallulah House... well, in the kitchen, anyway!). I would be ever so grateful for the cheese puff recipe. I'm telling you, those things were incredible, my favourite thing on the tower!

Kimberley