Sunday, December 2, 2007

Over the moon

photo_lg_ireland

It's no secret to anyone who's known me long: though I've had the excitement and privilege of travelling to England, Scotland, Austria, Italy, Hawaii, Canada, China, India, and Kenya, my heart has always, ALWAYS longed for Ireland.

This being my 5th year at my present job, I became eligible to apply for a "renewal" sabbatical. My proposal didn't have to have anything to do with academia or my discipline, but could be simply for pleasure purposes. I decided to apply, all the while thinking that I probably wouldn't be chosen. I mean, come on, what's 5 years next to the 25 or 30 that many of colleagues have given to the school? I decided to go for it, though, because I didn't have anything to lose.

Well, I met with the president of the school on Wednesday, and he gave me the news: my proposal had been enthusiastically approved and I was going to spend two weeks in Ireland this coming summer, all expenses paid. I was overcome and started to cry (don't tell anybody, ok, I have a reputation to maintain!). To be given such an opportunity is a huge gift, and such a compliment.

I keep looking at pictures of Ireland and thinking, "Wow! I'm going to be seeing that FOR REAL!". It's all a bit overwhelming-- but I'll cope ;)


So, here's a list of what Chris and I want to do (oh, yeah, Chris is coming, too-- did you think I'd leave him here??):

Dublin-- 1916 Uprising Walking Tour; Trinity College Library; the Irish Writers' Museum; the James Joyce Centre; the Guiness Brewery (did you know that they have a 1000 year land lease??)

Meath-- Hill of Tara

The Giant's Causeway

Galway-- The Wild Geese Heritage Museum; walking tour of the countryside

Cork-- Blarney Castle

Sligo-- W.B. Yeats stuff (Thor Ballylee, etc); Sligo Folk Park; Carrowmore and Carrowkeel megalithic sites

The Cliffs of Mohr

The Aran Isles

Shannon/Ennis-- Bunratty Castle and Folk Park; Brian Boru Heritage Centre

I know that Chris and I will discover more things that we want to do over the next few months, but the most important thing is to get our flight, car, and accomodations booked. I've found a few companies that give you the option of paying ahead for a set number of nights for B&B's, but that allow you a lot of flexibility on when/where you stay.

So, Blogland: have any of you been to Ireland? Do you have any advice on travelling, things to see/do? I would love any information that you have to offer.

I'll miss my little Tallulah House and the Friendly Beasts, but console myself with the knowledge that coming home is always sweet. Plus, well... I'M GOING TO IRELAND!! :)

Thanks for stopping by,
Kimberley (who still has yet to take it all in)

6 comments:

tea time and roses said...

Wow!! Congratulations Kimberley!! I am completely over joyed for you!! I wish I could tell you something of Ireland, other than I wish someday to visit there! :o) Have you started packing yet LOL! Kimberley, you and Chris have fabulous time!!!! You go girl!!!

Smiles to you...

Beverly

Kimberley said...

Hey, Beverly!

Thanks so much for your good wishes, they mean a lot :) We haven't started packing just yet, but we are already planning what to pack, lol. We like to plan-- it's half the fun!

Thanks again,
Kimberley

Anonymous said...

If you can fit it in a trip to Bantry Bay just a short distnace from Cork would be marvellos and you could also visit Garnish Island.
cd&m
http://catondarlingandmoore.typepad.com

Kimberley said...

Hmmm, isn't Bantry Bay referenced in "The Star of County Down"? I think so! Thanks for that tip, and also for Garnish Island. I'd never heard of it, but after seeing pictures of the gardens and seals, I think it has to go on the list!

Thank you SO MUCH for your suggestion!
Kimberley

SmilingJudy said...

Galway! Galway! Galway! I see that's on your list, but I'll type it again. Galway! Do Dublin first if you can. I went there last and it was sort of a disappointment after the beauty of the rest of the country. It seemed like just another city. Maybe we were just burnt out.

We got a car and did a self-paced driving tour along with B&B vouchers. I highly recommend that approach for maximum flexibility. Connemara and the Ring of Kerry were also really beautiful. We purchased a bus tour of the Ring of Kerry, but they were oversold, so one of the drivers drove us around in the boss' Mercedes! :)

Have fun!

Kimberley said...

Hi, Judy!

Thank you so much for your affirmation of Galway. The west, more than any other part of Ireland, intrigues me. I also like knowing that we're on the right track with the self-paced car and B&B vouchers.
Yeah, I'm hoping we'll fly into Dublin and out of Shannon. We'll see, though.

Thanks again. Your comments are really helpful.
Kimberley