Thursday, December 13, 2007

A bit of Christmas

Hi, everybody, and merry Christmas! Though Chris and I don't decorate for Christmas the way we do for Halloween, we do like to put out a few things.

Let me show you around!

Here's the table by the front door:

christmasdoortable


Here's a closeup of the compotes:

christmasfruitsilverherb

I like the old-fashioned look of fresh greenery with herbs and fruits. I was standing in line at Trader Joe's the other day (replacing everything we'd lost when the fridge died, from butter to BBQ sauce) when I noticed the guy in front of me had a lovely little crate of clementines. "Well, Mr. Man", I thought, "you're not the only one who's walking outta here with those citrusy treats!!", and off I dashed to the produce section. Note: I am so thankful that people can't read my mind-- they'd just think I was bizarre.


Here's the top of the entertainment center, with fir boughs (which I pulled out of the free bins at Lowe's) and ivy (which I pulled out of the yard):

christmasvignette


Here's a closeup of one of our Jim Shore Santas:

santacloseup


The Christmas tree, which we decorated with friends. That's the way we do thing around here, see: we invite people over for potlucks and then force them to decorate Tallulah House. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson by now ;)

christmastree



A pine garland from Ace Hardware, with ivy from the yard:

christmasarchway


The chandelier, with ivy and rosemary:

chandeliercloser


The dining room doorway:

christmasdiningroomdoor


The pyramid that my parents brought back from Germany many years ago:

pyramid



Now for the kitchen. Here's a primitive, folk-arty tree that my friend Lib gave me:

christmas2007 009



Next is our little nutcracker and some apothecary jars filled with festive M&M's!

christmasnutcracker



Next is the top of the new refrigerator (yes, as much as it set us back, it has to be featured!!). I confess that I keep my gargoyle out year-long, though not usually here. I am very fond of my winged Christmas elf, and of his combat boots :)

christmas2007 006



Here's a few shots of the vignette in the sitting room (pardon the gap under the pug picture: I have been trying to get Chris's help in hanging things to balance it out, but he hates drilling into plaster as much as I do!):

christmassittingroom


Here's a closeup of my Dresden angels. My parents also brought these back from Germany and they're one of my favourite things:

dresdenangels



Another closeup:

angelscloseup



In keeping with the idea of greenery and natural materials, I decided to show off my ginger jar with some huge stalks of rosemary (I noticed today that the rosemary has bloomed, I suppose due to being inside. It's wonderful!):

christmasrosemaryvase



I kept it simple in the bathroom as well, decorating with a silver tray, a candle, and my favourite Christmas linen: the flying pig towel!

christmasbathroom



Here's a closeup of my pig. If he doesn't make you smile, then there's nothing I can do for you and I suggest that you seek medical attention quickly!

pigtowelcloseup



From all of the denizens of Tallulah House, we wish you a merry Chrismas!

christmas2007 019

2 comments:

tea time and roses said...

Kimberley everything is just lovely! Your Christmas tree is beautiful, as is your Santas! You have been a busy little bee, everything is wonderful. You and your family have a Merry Christmas!

Smiles...

Beverly

stadtgarten said...

Lovely christmas decorations! Do you have german roots?
I wish you a very happy year! Kind regards, Monika