Sunday, September 7, 2008

I'm going to be pregnant forever.

Ok. So I'm not REALLY going to be pregnant forever (I hope). It just feels that way. I know, I know, Liam's actual due date is tomorrow, the 8th, but still... I've been a pretty good sport about this whole thing (gestational diabetes, crazy heart arrhythmia, horrible leg and joint pain, gross elephant ankles and feet), but am ready to be a single being once more. I feel slightly guilty about feeling this way, but it's the truth. Plus, dangit, Chris and I really want to meet this kid!

I'll get around to some more whining in a minute (that's why you read this blog after all: the high quality whining and snark), but first of all, here's a list of what I've been/continue to be grateful for during this pregnancy:

1) The fact that Liam is, according to every measure they've given him, incredibly healthy-- he was described as "spectacular" by the doctor I saw on Tuesday *preen*

2) The support of family and friends. Our family has been there to listen, encourage, buy strollers and cribs, and give advice, for which I'm truly grateful. Our friends have been extremely supportive (two of them even cleaned our house while we were out of town for a funeral a couple of weeks ago-- do friends get better than that??), not to mention incredibly generous in seeing that Liam is "geared up".

But back to the whining... ;)

1) The relaxin has loosened all of my joints up (a good thing for labor), but that means that they're not giving a whole lot of support at a time when it would be INCREDIBLY HELPFUL for them to do so. The pelvic joint isn't doing much to support the uterus, and my hips aren't helping much, either.

2) At night, I'm waking up just about every hour to go to the bathroom. This is not conducive to a good night's sleep (or a good day's work the next day), nor is it helping with my overall crankiness.

3) Though Liam has dropped, and consequently slowed down a bit, his rolling, kicking, etc, still make me uncomfortable.

4) My sciatic nerve seems to be kicked a few times every hour which makes my legs spaz out and almost drop me to the floor.

5) I've been having Braxton-Hix for months now, but when I was checked I was 50% effaced with absolutely no dilation. What the heck? I was hoping that all of those practice pangs were doing something to move this along.

6) My doctor wants to induce if he isn't here by tomorrow... and she wants to do it on 9/11. My issues with induction aside (the fact that I would most likely have to have an epidural, and that MANY inductions end up in a C-section), I refuse to make the deliberate choice to have my baby's birthday on that horrible day. Can you imagine his having to attend memorial services at school every year on his birthday?? If I went into labor naturally and that happened to be the day, then I would consider it the will of the universe and just go with it. But to deliberately CHOOSE it?? No way. And my doctor's assistant thinks I'm being unreasonable... I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, where we'll discuss all of this.

It's so funny because I never thought that I would get to this point. I'd heard other women saying things like, "I just want this baby out!" and I couldn't imagine feeling that way... Well, now I can-- vividly ;) I'm convinced that it's God's way of helping you come to terms with labor! "Labor? Sure, sounds great! Let's go!"

Whatever YOU'VE been up to lately, I hope it's been fun. Really. I'm not bitter (but you can lie, and make me feel better if you want!)

:)
Kimberley

2 comments:

Grandma Faith said...

You have a very entertaining way of putting things. I wish you all the best with the delivery of your son. Take care....

Sandy said...

I am hoping that all went well!